Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pink Floyd, Sisters of Mercy, KB

From: John M. Relph <relph@PRESTO.IG.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1988 10:03:03 PDT
Subject: Re: Pink Floyd, Sisters of Mercy, KB
Sender: "John M. Relph" <relph@PRESTO.IG.COM>

David Hardy (whizzo@ATHENA.MIT.EDU) sez:

>> [Pink Floyd Fans: Mobile Sound Fidelity Lab has DARK SIDE OF THE
>> MOON out from the HARVEST masters, on a GOLD plated CD... ~$23
>> around here]

> I didn't know there was more than one set of masters for Dark Side.
> What is the difference between the HARVEST masters and whatever others
> there may be?  Are the HARVEST masters considered the best?

I didn't want to get into this, but the way it works is that the
artist records the album, then the final stereo mixes are mastered
into one stereo master.  This stereo master is (possibly) copied a
number of times.  From these copies (or the original), the master
tapes for each of the distribution media (cassette, vinyl, CD) are
made.  Each of these media has its own peculiar equalisation
requirements.  For example, since the dynamic range of a cassette is
not as large as that of a CD, the signal is compressed slightly, and
the bass and treble are boosted (I may have the details wrong, but you
get the idea).  So then copies of these EQ'ed master tapes are sent
out to pressing/copying plants, where the cassettes are made, or where
the master dies for album pressings are made, etc., whatever.

In the case of the "Harvest" CD's, they used one of the original
(pre-EQ'ed) tapes as the source for the digital master tape used for
the CD.  So they had every opportunity to re-EQ the tape for CD.  The
"domestic" (read USA) CD was mastered from one of the cassette or
album master tapes, thus being a generation (or more) away from the
original, resulting in signal loss.  Also, that master tape had
already been EQ'ed for cassette or album, so the result on CD is also
inferior.

This is what I have come to understand from the various discussions
which have taken place on rec.music.misc, rec.audio, and various other
places.  If anyone has a better idea of what is going on, then please
let me know, too.  In any case, most people have agreed that the Gold
CD from MFSL sounds great.

Pat Deupree (rochester!tropix!scmhcx!ritcv!pxd3563@rutgers.edu) sez:

> Subject: Sisters Of Mercy (Alice)

> However, the other day I heard a song on the radio that was most
> definatly a Sisters of Mercy song (or at least Hussey was singing
> it).  When the set of songs was over the DJ said that the song was
> "Alice" by Sisters of Mercy.

Yes, "Alice" is definitely a single or B-side, I have seen it numerous
times lately in import/used record shops in the SF Bayarrhea.

David Vinayak Wallace <Gumby@MCC.COM> sez:

> Subject: The Kick Inside

> Today I've also heard it about that many times and it's not even 6 AM.

> Is there any cure?

Yes, buy more KB and listen to it instead!  (or in addition).

	-- John
----
John M. Relph
IntelliGenetics, Inc.