Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

She's Having A Bimbo

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 88 09:53:55 EST
Subject: She's Having A Bimbo

SHE'S HAVING A BABY
-------------------
The Film:  Highly average.  Nice surreal bits but lots of less nice
           standard and predictable bits.  Check it out on cable.

The Soundtrack:
Ah, now this is a mixed bag.  I bought it on CD, so the answer to the
question being shouted by audiophile KT fans is "YES. IT IS OUT ON CD."
Now, let's look at the disc.  Well, it's got a cute little "he" side
and cute little "she" side and the "he" side is in blue and the "she"
side is in, you guessed it!, pink!  Wow, what startling inventiveness.
The "he" side comes first and it apparently has all male vocalists.
How clever!
Dave Wakeling - "She's Having A Baby".  I refuse to believe that this is
   the same Dave Wakeling who made all those awesome English Beat records.
   This is candy pop fluff at it's worst even though Dave has a good voice.
   Sigh.  Does he need the money THAT badly?
Love And Rockets - "Haunted When The Minutes Drag".  A cut down version
   of the song that is on "Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven".  I like it,
   although I wish they let it run its natural length.
Gene Loves Jezebel - "Desire (Come And Get It)".  Who cares?
XTC - "Happy Families".  Yowza!  A great song by XTC.  It's so happy and
   bouncy and yet the underlying message is so sinister.  Andy Partridge
   is definitely God.  Probably up there with Kate.
Bryan Ferry - "Crazy Love".  Ho hum.  Not amazing.

and now... the "She" side...

Kirsty MacColl - "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby".  This song is so
   funny.  It induces hysteria in me every time I hear it.  It's a cover
   of the Smiths tune done by some lady with a very un-Morrissey like
   voice.  Curiously enough, the track was produced by Steve Lillywhite.
   I can just imagine the following phone call.
Steve Lillywhite: "Hello?"
John Hughes: "Hi, this is John Hughes.  Remember me?  I make all those
   films about teenage angst and adolescent angst and pre-pubescent angst?
   You know, with Molly Ringworm and the other pouty snots?"
SL:  "Yeah, I know."
JH:  "Well, I'm doing the soundtrack to a new film and it's gonna have
   Kate Bush and XTC and Bryan Ferry and Love and Rockets doing tracks
   for it..."
SL:  "You want me to produce Kate Bush?  I'd love to!  Or XTC even, I've
   worked with them before you know... Yeah, that'd be swell..."
JH:  "Not exactly... I want you to produced this chick named Kirsty
   MacColl doing a Smiths tune."
SL:  "You've got to be joking."

Everything But THe Girl - "Apron Strings".  Fast forward time.

Kate Bush - "This Woman's Work".  My initial impression of this song was
   "My God, how powerful".  But now that I've had a chance to focus on it
   more, I begin to see a lot of standard pop stuff in it.  I wish they
   had left the name as "Make It Go Away" though, it carries so much more
   punch to it.  Guess it was too strong for wimpy pop wussies.  Anyway,
   I don't know if this is an instant classic.  Kate's vocals are
   certainly up to snuff and you can't fault the production (not that there's
   much of it to fault anyway).  It's just kind of "eh" in comparison with
   a lot of Kate's other stuff.  I still like "Be Kind To My Mistakes" best.
   (of the film songs, that is)

Who cares about the rest of the album?  Not much else interesting on it.
Jon Drukman                        BITNET: jsd@umass
209-C2 McNamara                   ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University Of Massachusetts           (or) jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
Amherst, MA  01003                  PHONE: 413-546-4262
Time is money, especially a good time.