Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oldfield, Ayers

From: emory!colm@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Colm Mulcahy)
Date: 2 Mar 88 19:31:48 GMT
Subject: Re: Oldfield, Ayers
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> [...] "Discovery" was full of boring, simple, pop-oriented songs;
> songs as opposed to music, which is what Oldfield used to do and
> what I wish he would still do.  "Shadow on the Wall" is a perfect
> example.  It consists of some guy yelling "Shadow on the Wall" over
> and over.  What genius!  (obviously I'm exaggerating. [...]) [...]

As I said earlier, "some guy" is the great Roger Chapman, an aging R 'n' R
man along the lines of Joe Cocker or Frankie Miller.  In my book
songs are music too ......

>> It was Mike Oldfield & his like who "inspired" a large part of the
>> mid-70s upheaval

> Mike Oldfield inspired disco? :-)  Really, though, what do you mean?

Read statements by old farts like Strummer, Lydon, Weller etc. They
claim that what bored them to tears about 70s rock pre-punk was
grandiose indulgences like Genesis, Oldfield, Floyd etc.  It was so
removed from reality for them that they felt the urge to get "back to
basics". The rest is history.

Oldfield may have done some interesting things, but Tubular Balls sure
wasn't one of them ....

--
Colm Mulcahy        |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!colm		UUCP
Emory University    |  colm@emory                   	   	BITNET