Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oldfield, Ayers

From: William LeFebvre <phil@rice.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 88 09:56:59 CST
Subject: Re: Oldfield, Ayers

harvard!zinn!mem@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Mark E. Mallett) sez:
> ["Shadow on the wall" was] A real treat, if you think pity is a treat.
> Much like the latest album, "Discovery" was full of boring, simple,
> pop-oriented songs; songs as opposed to music, which is what Oldfield
> used to do and what I wish he would still do.  "Shadow on the Wall" is
> a perfect example...

Uhhhhhh.....excuse me......but "Shadow on the Wall" is not on
"Discovery".  It's the last cut on "Crises".  There's also an
"extended" version (the vocalist yells a little longer) on that
two-album thingie, "The Complete Mike Oldfield".

I, too, picked up a copy of "Islands" in a moment of insanity (guess I
just wanted to keep my collection complete, i dunno).  It is more of
the "new Oldfield".  I'd rather have more of the "old Oldfield"---stuff
like Five Miles Out, QE2, .... sigh.

He seems to be trying to keep up with the current trends.  I wish he'd
wake up to the fact that the current trends aren't real music.

My wife did have something good to say about the songs on side two of
"Islands".  At least he kept the bass line interesting (unlike most pop
songs).

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University