Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oldfield, Ayers

From: aurora!gidi@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Gidi Avrahami)
Date: 26 Feb 88 20:30:43 GMT
Subject: Re: Oldfield, Ayers
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> Oldfield was recognized for "Tubular Bells" and other instrumental
> works, not from playing guitar in a rock band.

I certainly don't want to get into any kind of anti-progressive-pop
debate but if you're REALLY interested I suggest you check Ayers' `74
albums "The Confessions of Dr Dream" and the live "June 1974" (they
overlap somewhat in material). Oldfield plays one tearfully beautiful
solo on the Doctor ("Everybody's Sometime And Some People's All The
Time Blues") and some on the live one, too (methinks). Check Ayers'
"Joy Of A Toy", too for Bedford & Oldfield in a rock setting.

Another great guitarist on Dream is Ollie Hallsal. The only other time
I heard him at all is when he played with John Cale (~3 years ago).
He is GOOD! (I mean BAD!)
--
	Gidi
"Hell, if you understand everything I say, you'd be me!"   (Miles Davis)