Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

HOL import CD

From: ssc-vax!arlo@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Jim Campiche)
Date: 26 Feb 88 20:37:28 GMT
Subject: HOL import CD
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Well, one of the first CD's I ever bought was Hounds Of Love on
British EMI.  I have all the rest on American EMI.  Besdes the
graphcs, case spine, and disk lettering being nicer (the US versions
have block letters on the disk and spine), I ddn't think there was any
difference.  But the guy who posted the Villiage Voice review was
right.  I played "Running Up The Hill" and a couple other tracks
against the "Whole Story" (US) versions, and the sound quality was
noticably superior on the UK release.  Yes, it's true.

      [	I'm not sure that this proves anything.  The tracks on the
	British *Hounds of Love* CD also sound noticeably superior to
	the same tracks on the British *Whole Story* CD.  -- |>oug ]

(By the way, the Voice review mentioned Magical Mystery Tour, which I
think is one of the best souning Beatle's CD's.  They got all the
original stereo mixes, and it's like completely reddiscovering MMT.)
So now I suppose everyone will be clambering after those import
releases.  Even I may replace The Dreaming with a European copy if the
sound quality is better than the US.  Boy, the lengths we go to...

Other favorite CD's (all sound fantastic, or have bonus tracks, etc):

	Love Tractor - This Ain't No Outer Space Ship
C	Residents - Live In Holland
C	Alex Chilton - High Priest
C	Beatles - Revolver
C	T-Bone Burnet - T_Bone Burnette