Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sugarcubes

From: elroy!earle%mahendo.JPL.NASA.GOV@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Greg Earle)
Date: 8 Feb 88 10:15:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Sugarcubes
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: elroy!news@ames.arc.nasa.gov

>> Is it a coincidence that your `My favorite single of 1987' also happened
>> to be MM's as well?

> I assume this was aimed at me.  The answer is yes and why should you
> presume otherwise?  I rarely buy MM or the other rags.  Birthday was
> voted record of the year by listeners of the John Peel show on Radio
> 1.  ...

> The next Sugarcubes single is called Cold Sweat and has just been
> released on One Little Indian records.  Don't take my word or MM's
> that they are great - but have a listen yourself.

Sorry Neil, pardon the wording but that wasn't meant to cast
aspersions on your character (or musical taste).  I was merely curious
to know if you arrived at that independantly, or perhaps had seen MM's
pick, decided to scoop it up, and 'lo and behold `Alright chaps,
you've picked a good one' with instant placement in your pantheon of
'87 singles.  Hey, it's happened to me before, I admit to paying
attention to `rags', as you say - a prime example: 'way back in 1984 I
saw this review in Zig-Zag (`mag' as opposed to `rag' I suppose) of a
little LP called `Dead Can Dance', some 2 months before it appeared on
the record shelves.  Based on the (Mick Mercer's, I believe - I used
to trust him in those days, before he tweaked and went mad) review, I
bought it as soon as I saw it.  The rest is history ...

[Hey, I'd suspect your favorite LP wasn't `The Young Gods', so ...]

As to them being `rags'; I found it amusing to see Robert Hilburn
(dean of L.A. Rock Kriticks) describing (in an article about Public
Enemy) the NME as `England's prestigious NME' ...
hahahahahHaHaHaHaHaHAHAHAHA ...  I actually give MM a bit of credit,
it used to be `Melody Wanker' but with a turnover and some new blood,
they are actually quite good of late, more or less.  Quite in contrast
to NME which slowly sunk to disappearing up its own arsehole in
blind-worshiping of any record made in the U.S. that smelt of being
made by a black artist (Why *are* there so many white black-wannabe's
in England?!?  The fascination with `Prince is totally God-like' is
particularly repulsive ... ).

BTW, `Cold Sweat' is pretty bland to these ears, compared to
`Birthday' - I hope their appeal isn't limited to when Bjork goes into
warble-mode ...

So when are those Swans East-coast dates coming up?  Still salivating
over the upcoming prospect of `Children of God' done live ...

      	[ They played in Boston a week ago.  -- |>oug ]

Lastly, in the High Signal To Noise Ratio dept., Record Labels
division: Wax Trax is putting out Belgium's Play It Again Sam product,
under the `Play It Again Sam USA' label.  Good stuff, a current
mini-catalogue:

	BIUS-1001	Legendary Pink Dots	Stone Circles LP (Anthology)
	BIUS-2002	Click Click		Wet Skin and Curious Eye LP
	BIUS-2003	Borghesia		No Hope No Fear LP
	BIUS-3004	Cassandra Complex	Kill Your Children 12"
	BIUS-1005	The Neon Judgement	Horny As Hell LP
	BIUS-?006	???  [Anyone?]
	BIUS-1007	Legendary Pink Dots	Any Day Now LP

	- Greg (Some dude in L.A.)

> Be seeing you.

  Who is Number 1?  You are, Number 6
   "   "   "    "   You are Number 6.