Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mike Oldfield

From: Marq Laube <marq%apple.apple.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 88 13:06:32 pst
Subject: Re: Mike Oldfield

First of all, about Mike Oldfield.  His new single "Islands" (sung by
Bonnie Tyler) isn't that great, but there is a strange re-working of
the song on the B-side with a different (far more Kate or Maggie-like)
vocalist and it is much better.

Secondly, you're right.  Kate _defines_ god.

Thirdly, whoever included lyrics to "December": thank you very much!
I can't tell you how appreciated that was!  Anyone have complete
lyrics to "Empty Bullring", "Burning Bridge", "Ran Tan Waltz", or
"Warm and Soothing", or a translation of "Ne t'enfuis pas"?  Any or
all would be SO appreciated.

Fourthly, I discovered an incredible bit in "Hello, Earth" the other
night.  Right as Kate is singing the initial "Hello, Earth!  Hello,
Earth", during each of the "th" sounds, a very quiet male voice comes
on (sounding like its being projected from space) and says something.
Anyone have any clues as to what it is.  (If you want to hear this,
you will have to crank it up!)

Finally, any suggestions from this group (sorry I'm new) about what
specifically is meant by "Gaffa"?

-Marq

	[ "Gaffa" is a European slang term for gaffer's tape, which is
	  identical to duct tape.  -- |>oug ]