Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: xtc opinions

From: sun!toto!duane@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Duane Day [Do you guys know _Proud Mary_?])
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 87 13:47:18 EDT
Subject: Re: xtc opinions

[From the Love-Hounds Lost and Found... -- |>oug]

>Really-From: jw@math.mit.edu

>> What's different about the British version of English Settlement?
>> Is it mixed notably differently?  Are you just referring to the
>> double-LP version?

>I was, yes.  I was under the impression that the singledisc version
>was created for the US market, and that the original doubledisc album
>was available as an import. . .

>                              Julian West

Yes, and to answer an earlier assertion that the American version is
just one of the two records, sorry, that is incorrect.  The American
version, is a combination, missing 4 songs from the British version.
(Don't remember which ones since I'd bought the British as an import
before I ever saw an American copy).

There's also the CD, which I've only seen on British Virgin - this is
the entire British album minus "Leisure" and "Down in the Cockpit".
Two really unfortunate omissions, but the sound is great.

I agree with the several other posters that English Settlement is the
high-water mark for XTC, and one of the true landmark albums in the
development of rock in general.  I was particularly impressed by the
person who called it XTC's PG3/Sgt Pepper.  The British English
Settlement and PG3 would be in my Desert Island record case in an
INSTANT!  "Jason and the Argonauts", "Melt the Guns", "It's Nearly
Africa", "All of a Sudden (It's Too Late)", "Senses Working Overtime"
- the masterpieces just keep coming!

Oh, and since this is my first posting to this group, I should add
that I love Kate Bush, too - just didn't have any new insights to
offer on her...

I'd love to know where to find that bootleg though...

--
************************ |UUCP: {hplabs, decwrl}!sun!{misun, toto}!duane
..but one of the choices | COM: duane%misun@sun.com