Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

XTC song listing confusions (long & more confusing)

From: rutgers!briarpatch!billy@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Billy Green)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 87 13:44:31 EDT
Subject: XTC song listing confusions (long & more confusing)

[From the Love-Hounds lost and Found... --|>oug]

> From: Derek Gross <mind!derek@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
>
>> From: Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@CS.UCL.AC.UK>
>
>> There is also at least one single (Life Begins at the Hop, perhaps?)
>> that's on the US version of an LP but not on the UK.
>
>I believe "Making Plans For Nigel" is on the UK but not the US version of
>_Drums_and_Wires_, and "Life Begins at the Hop" is on the US but not the UK.
>On the other hand, I seem to recall seeing an album with both...perhaps it
>was a hallucination.

My copy of _Drums_And_Wires_ is on Virgin (one side with a red label,
one side with a green label--like most of the earlier XTC records I have),
and it includes a lyric sheet.  Since XTC had not put out a lyric sheet
with either _White_Music_ or _Go2_, this lyric sheet acts as a catch-all
and prints the lyrics for all three albums and for (I assume) every single
they had released up to that time.

These are the titles of the songs listed on this lyric sheet and the
notes regarding availability:

"Science Friction" (A. Partridge)
"She's So Square" (A. Partridge)
"Danceband" (C. Moulding)
	--Available as a 12" E.P. "3D EP" (VOLE 3)
"Statue Of Liberty" (A. Partridge)
"Hang On To the Night" (A. Partridge)
	--Available as a single (VS 201)
"Radios In Motion" (A. Partridge)
"Crosswires" (C. Moulding)
"Do What You Do" (C. Moulding)
"Into the Atom Age" (A. Partridge)
"I'll Set Myself On Fire" (C. Moulding)
"I'm Bugged!" (A. Partridge)
"New Town Animal (In a Furnished Cage)" (A. Partridge)
"Spinning Top" (A. Partridge)
"Neon Shuffle" (A. Partridge)
	--Available on the album "White Music" (V 2095)
"Traffic Light Rock" (A. Partridge)
	--Available on the 10" compilation album "Guillotine" (VCL 5001)
"This Is Pop" (A. Partridge)
"Heatwave" (C. Moulding)
	--Available as a single (VS 209)
"Meccanic Dancing" (A. Partridge)
"Battery Brides" (A. Partridge)
"Buzzcity Talking" (C. Moulding)
"Crowded Rood" (C. Moulding)
"The Rhythm" (C. Moulding)
"Red" (A. Partridge)
"Beatown" (A. Partridge)
"Life Is Good In the Greenhouse" (A. Partridge)
"Jumping In Gomorah" (A. Partridge)
"My Weapon" (B. Andrews--late of XTC, presently of Shriekback)
"Super-Tuff" (B. Andrews)
"I Am the Audience" (C. Moulding)
	--Available on the album "Go2" (V 2108)
"Are You Receiving Me?" (A. Partridge)
"Instant Tunes" (C. Moulding)
	--Available as a single (VS 231)
"Life Begins At the Hop" (C. Moulding)
	--Available as a single (VS 259)
	(then, on the back, in red ink)
"Making Plans For Nigel" (C. Moulding)
"Helicopter" (A. Partridge)
"Day In Day Out" (C. Moulding)
"When You're Near Me I Have Difficulty" (A. Partridge)
"Ten Feet Tall" (C. Moulding)
"Roads Girdle the Globe" (A. Partridge)
"Real By Reel" (A. Partridge)
"Millions" (A. Partridge)
"That Is the Way" (C. Moulding)
"Outside World" (A. Partridge)
"Scissor Man" (A. Partridge)
"Complicated Game" (A. Partridge)
-----------------------
"Chain Of Command" (A. Partridge)
"Limelight" (C. Moulding)
	--Sometimes available as a free single with "Drums And Wires"

There is no mention of "Take This Town" (which I have only ever found
on the soundtrack of "Times Square"), so I assume it came after
_Drums_And_Wires_.

NOW . . .

My _Drums_And_Wires_ has "Life Begins At the Hop" in the place of "Day
In Day Out", and the jacket lists it that way.  My copy did *not* have
the free single stuffed into it.

Then I got the CD of _Drums_And_Wires_.  It lists the same songs that
the album lists (LBATH instead of DIDO) on the booklet and on the
case and on the CD itself.  However, there are fourteen tracks instead
of twelve.  "Day In Day Out" appears where "Life Begins At the Hop" is
listed to be; "Chain Of Command" appears before "Real By Reel"; and
"Limelight" follows "Complicated Game".

Also, every copy of "Go2" that I have ever seen has "Are You
Receiving Me?" as the last or next-to-last track on side one.
In fact, my "Go2" CD has "Are You Receiving Me?" and "This Is Pop"
on it.

And every copy I've ever seen of _White_Music_ has "Statue Of Liberty"
included on it.

You go and figure it out.

BTW, I just got _Chips_From_the_Chocolate_Fireball_ today.  I notice
that they decided to go ahead and do the Beach Boys on _Psonic_
Psunspot_ better than they did on "Season Cycle".  _Chips_ is a
*great* CD, and I am elated to have better-sounding versions of the
songs from _25_O'Clock_.

Also, an old Andy Partridge album seems to be making the import rounds
once again.  It is titled _Mr._Partridge_'Take_Away'_.  Side One is
called "Take Away", and Side Two is called "The Lure Of Salvage".
To quote the liner notes: "This used to be some XTC records.  It is
now a collection of tracks that have been electronically processed/
shattered and layered with other sounds or lyrical pieces.  If you liked
'Go+', then this record weighs approximately the same amount."
Recommended for *hard-core* XTC fans *only*.  There's some really weird
stuff on this album.

Can anyone tell me where I might find:
	_Beeswax_
	"Hang On To the Night"
	"Traffic Light Rock" (or _Guillotine_)
	"Heatwave"
	"Instant Tunes"?
I already have everything else listed on this sheet.  I can't turn
around without bumping into _Waxworks_, but I already have everything
on that album.  I can't find _Beeswax_ or the double set of _Waxworks/
Beeswax_ anywhere.

Billy Green
Carrboro, NC
{seismo,decvax,philabs,akgua}!mcnc!briarpatch!billy
"Gee, Grandma!  You smell SO good, and we're SO hungry!"