Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Bears

From: sdsu!mccurdy@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Mike McCurdy)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 87 13:40:05 EDT
Subject: Re: The Bears

> From: dap@cgl.ucsf.edu (David A. Pearlman)

> > From: sg08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephan Greene)
> > I picked up the CD of the Bears the other week. It is currently my
> > favorite album! I can't recommend it highly enough. It was digitally

> A side note: affixed to copies of the album is a sticker which
> includes a very favorable quote from John D'Agostino, one of the best
> rock critics in the known world. He writes for the San Diego Reader (a
> --
>     David A. (DAP) Pearlman

	Just so we have the opposing viewpoint ... John D'Agostino is
	a great critic and writer. He did like the Bears and was very
	impressed by their recent concert in San Diego. I wonder if he
	has heard the album?  I purchased the CD and found it to be a
	bit too pop oriented for my taste. Considering the people
	involved on this recording, it is surprisingly
	non-adventurous. Given that this is a POP album, I was also
	surprised that the songs were not 'catchy'; I had been led to
	believe that they were. That's my opinion ... you might like
	it. I didn't.

	Mike McCurdy
	San Diego State University

- -