Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

eXtraneous Talk about inCorrect info

From: JDTURN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Joe Turner)
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 87 12:45:22 EDT
Subject: eXtraneous Talk about inCorrect info

Gads!  Please get it right about "Drums & Wires"!!!!

As far as I have seen & know, the original D & W track line-up had
"Life Begins at the Hop" on it.  It was REPLACED by "Making Plans for
Nigel" when that single got popular.  The original US versions had
"Hop" on them, but now EVERY version has "Nigel" and you can only find
"Life Begins at the Hop" on the "Waxworks" compilation.

Speaking of which:  I know for a fact that the LP version of "Beeswax"
is out-of-print, however there seems to be a tape version of the "Waxworks"
LP with "Beeswax" on the other side.  I know cuz I bought it!  I assume it's
still in print, I only bought it a few months ago.

Yes, as many people have noticed, the XTC import CD's are all being released
with extra tracks (except for _English_Settlement_).  "White Music" has
the "3DEP" EP stuck on it, for example, along with other stuff.  "Mummer"
has about 7 extra songs.  "Big Express" has about 4 or 5 (including my
favorite track from those sessions, "Washaway").  Damn good deals, I'd
say!  No idea what the booklets are like, though.  I'd hope they would
release things like "Black Sea" and "Drums and Wires" with the words (which
the newer LPs do not have, the bastards).

I agree with whomever stated their annoyance with "Temper" as a B-side
and "Liarbird" as an album cut.  Mind you, I like "Liarbird" a lot, but
I think any XTC fan worth their salt will agree that whomever chooses
the singles for XTC (be it the band or the record company) has LOUSY
taste.  "Love on a Farmboy's Wages" is a STUPID song to release as a single!
"Grass" was a monumental fuck-up.  Same with "The Meeting Place".
"Punch and Judy" should have been released as an a-side from "English
Settlement", personally....

-flame off-

-joe

"Life's like a jigsaw, you get the straight bits
 but there's something missing in the middle..."
                       - xtc, "all of a sudden (it's too late)"