Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Who'd they use to vote for?

From: tucker@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Andy Tucker)
Date: 12 Jun 87 23:15:34 GMT
Subject: Re: Who'd they use to vote for?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1925@ci-dandelion.UUCP> Love-Hounds@EDDIE.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: ci-dandelion!david@seismo.CSS.GOV (David Watson)
>
>I have interpreted Kate's heavy emphasis on the word "him" to mean
>"*him* as opposed to *her*", but I never checked the timing of the
>taping of _The Dreaming_ against even the grossest of milestones
>in recent British political history, e.g., the rise of Margaret Thatcher.
>Even so, as far as I know, her era started long after the conversion to
>decimal currency, so if my interpretation is correct, then so is Kate's
>observation.

Well, here's an approximate timeline (sorry if I get something wrong, British
politics isn't exactly my specialty):

1964	Harold Wilson (Labour) becomes prime minister
1967	Decimal Currency Act (or some similar name) passed
1970	Edward Heath (Conservative) becomes prime minister
1971	Enactment of the Decimal Currency Act
1974	Wilson becomes prime minister
1976	Wilson resigns; Jim Callaghan (Labour) becomes prime minister
1979	Margaret Thatcher (Conservative) becomes prime minister
1982	Kate Bush releases _The Dreaming_ (presumably written over the past
	year or two)

My guess is that Kate was referring to Wilson -- he was prime minister when
the currency act was passed, he led the Labour party for many years (anyone
know Kate's politics?), and he was prime minister shortly before Thatcher
(supporting David's theory above).  At one time, he (and Labour) were very
popular -- perhaps Kate is referring to the disillusionment many people had
with Labour in the 70's, leading to the election of Margaret Thatcher.
"That's when we used to vote for him" implies that "we" vote for someone
else now.
--
Andy Tucker 			UUCP: ...!decwrl!rocky.stanford.edu!tucker
				ARPA: andrew@score.stanford.edu