Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KTrivia

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 87 00:51 PDT
Subject: KTrivia

Thanks to Mark Kat(e)souros for the passage about Houdini, a
wonderful birthday message for Katemas celebrants everywhere.
Mark, what is the source of your text? If it wasn't written by
you, then it would seem to be so close to Kate's song as to
be very probably her direct source of inspiration. Was Houdini's
name really Kate? Amazing.

|>oug: IED never meant to refer to Lennon's solo work when he
mentioned Kate's avowed late appreciation of the Beatles.
The influence of "Number 9 Dream" on Kate's work is undeniable --
almost more important an influence than PG III, in IED's opinion.
But Lennon as a solo artist is, to IED's way of thinking, almost
completely distinct from 1967 Beatles music.

About your interpretation of the lines from "All the Love" and "Leave
it Open": Where did you read Kate's comments about having a security
system installed in her home? IED has never seen that interview, and
would like to catch up. You're probably right about that particular
connection, but in general IED's feeling is that it's a mistake to
look at Kate's songs as directly autobiographical.  Unless your
interpretation and examples were written for the WSI?

-- Andrew

      [	I don't know if I've ever heard of Kate talking about the
	security system at her ex-flat in London, but I have read an
	interview that took place there and the interviewer talked
	about the security system.  Also Peter Morris of *Homeground*
	told me that Kate had the security system installed because of
	John Lennon's murder.  I don't know what his source was.

	I have heard a radio interview with Kate that took place at
	the end of 1980 and she said that she was very glad the year
	was over because it had been an awful year and that she had
	been very depressed about John Lennon's murder.  Seen in this
	light, it isn't too hard to see that the the line, "Now when
	they ring, I get my machine to let them in," definitely refers
	to Kate's own security system, and that the line, "My door was
	never locked/ Until one day a trigger come -- cocking," almost
	certainly is an allusion to the effect that John Lennon's
	murder had on Kate.
					-- |>oug ]