Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KT on the Beatles (arg! not again! watch out for the flames!...)

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 87 22:59:07 PDT
Subject: KT on the Beatles (arg! not again! watch out for the flames!...)

-------
>--Jon Drukman
>"Babooshka, babooshka... *BLAM*  *BLAM*
>   ALL RIGHT BITCH!  GET AWAY FROM THE PIANO!!!"
>         -- Fred In A Phone Booth

Is this a future FiaPB release, Jon? Sounds interesting. I'm sure
|>oug will love this one!

>> In this context could not 'SP' be the 'big bang' which set off her
>> KreaTion?
>> -- Neil Calton    (BTW, sorry about the typo last time, Neil--mtg)

>Unfortunately, Kate said in a recent interview that she hadn't really
>become too aware of the Beatles' music until a few years ago. Of
>course this doesn't preclude the possibility that Hounds of Love was
>influenced by Sgt. Pepper, but it's unlikely that the link between the
>Beatles' records and Kate's earlier creations is very close.

In an interview just prior to the tour in '79 on the BBC 1 Personal Call
show they played a number of her favorite songs, one of which was Brian
Ferry's cover of "She's Leaving Home". She commented:
     "...that whole album, Sgt Pepper, is just a phenomena, it's an
      absolute classic, and all of the songs in it are so beautiful.
      And it's just good to hear a very, very excellant cover version
      because often they lack something. I think he captured George
      Martin, the Beatles, everything. I think it's very clever...."
So it is apparent that she had listened to the Beatles quite a bit at this
time, although she prefered this cover version by one of her favorite
artists. (See what happens when you keep feeding this info to me, Andy?)

As much as I hate the hype that still surrounds anything about the Beatles,
I too bought the Sgt Pepper CD on June 1 because it was an extremely
influential album that helped lay the groundwork for todays progressive
music. It's these influences that makes this discussion relevant in this
group.

"It is this that brings us together..."
MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------