Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: XTC and creative control

From: hao!udenva!showard (Steve "Blore" Howard)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 87 15:07:39 mdt
Subject: Re: XTC and creative control
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <870601142742.00000F35.AXJX.MA@UMass> you write:
>Really-From: FULIGIN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>          (Peter E. Lee)
>
>Todd [Rundgren] now claims that he originally wanted 'Dear God' to be
>on the LP where 'Another Satellite' is now, but that Andy insisted on
>having it his way.  This may be true, but it runs completely counter
>to the 'no politics, just the seasons' concept and would really disrupt
>the flow, as far as I can see - so I think Todd just wants credit for
>the 'hit' really - who knows?

  According to the Creem interview, Andy decided that another song of
his (it might have been "Another Satellite," but I think it was "Mer-
maid Smiled"--the song "Dear God" replaced on the second pressing of
the LP) was better than "Dear God," so the latter was relegated to
B-side status.  He didn't mention Rundgren at all in connection with
this decision.

--
"I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller."

Steve "Blore" Howard, the DJ who would not die
                      {hplabs, seismo}!hao!udenva!showard
or {boulder, cires, ucbvax!nbires, cisden}!udenva!showard