Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

XTC and creative control

From: FULIGIN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Peter E. Lee)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 87 14:27:42 EDT
Subject: XTC and creative control

Although some of the band members (especially Dave Gregory) were fans of
Rundgren, he was chosen as producer largely by the record companies
(Virgin UK and Geffen US), following the philosophy that and American
producer would produce an American hit.  Todd was given an unprecedented
amount of control over production of the LP.  Before he had even met the
band, he had trimmed the 30 or so demos they had sent him into the full
running order of the LP.  When they came to America, he proceded to make
the band record the LP in the order in which is was to appear on the LP
(the segues between 'Summers Cauldron' and 'Grass', and between '1,000
Umbrellas' and 'Ballet For A Rainy Day' are not done with editing, BTW,
the band were asked to learn to play the songs together).  In fact,
I'm not sure if this is on the US pressing, but the UK pressings of the
LP contain the credit 'Continuity concept by Todd Rundgren' on the inner
sleeve...  Todd now claims that he originally wanted 'Dear God' to be
on the LP where 'Another Satellite' is now, but that Andy insisted on
having it his way.  This may be true, but it runs completely counter
to the 'no politics, just the seasons' concept and would really disrupt
the flow, as far as I can see - so I think Todd just wants 8credit for
the 'hit' really - who knows?  It's also true that the band had almost
no control over the mixing of the LP, and in fact went back to England
early in frustration and just let Todd get on with it...  Andy has
stated that, left to himself, he would have produced a very different
LP...
My sources for the above info are 'The Little Express' - the official
North American XTC Fan Club Newsletter and 'The Warner Brothers Music
Show' - an interview with Andy about 'Skylarking'.
Personally, I do like the new LP, but as Jon Drukman put it, more as
a Todd Rundgren album than one by XTC...
                                              -Peter Lee
                                         Resident XTC junkie
Fuligin%Umass.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
"It's just a compicated game..."