Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Travels in Nihilon

From: uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor@RUTGERS.EDU (Mr. Sharkey....white courtesy phone, please)
Date: Wed, 27 May 87 08:32:07 CDT
Subject: Re: Travels in Nihilon
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8705222252.AA17054@miro.Berkeley.EDU> you write:
>Really-From: allynh%miro@berkeley.edu (Allyn Hardyck)
>
>Something I discovered about this song lately which I thought interesting...
>...travels in nihilon....
>Turns out it was also the name of a book by Alan Sillitoe, one of the
>"angry young men" writers of late 50s Britain .

Yeah. Now try reading the book. It's the adventures of a group of
travel writers researching a book on Nihilon-a nation dedicated
entirely to anarchy and nihilism. Not just dedicated in the way that
you get Libertarians on the net. *Really* dedicated. The maps don't
work. Skirmishes at the border. Uncertain weather. No one who can
really answer your questions or change your money. Irregular SST
mailorder. It's got big, long words and lots of dry comedy. It's
ah....British (not so much as Kingsley Amis' "Lucky Jim", but up
there). It's a great book.