Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

various pleasantries

From: Dave Hsu <hsu@eneevax.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 May 87 19:05:43 EDT
Subject: various pleasantries
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: pac@munsell.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki)
>[This article is from the Love-Hounds lost and found collection....
> -- |>oug]
>
>Next time you see Birdsongs, look at their ears, especially Roger's.
>You should see ear plugs.  One rumor that I heard was that Misson of
>Burma broke up because of loud volumes.  Supposedly Roger now hears a
>C, E and E flat in his ears.  This ringing (called tinitus (?)) will
>stay with him forever.  (And no, Miracle Ear won't help.)

That's "tintinnitis".  Once, when I was eleven, my godmother brought
an audio dosimeter along on one of her visits...after taking some
readings, I argued (unsuccessfully, I might add) with the parental
management that my piano practice time should be immediately reduced
from one hour to 25 minutes per day, lest I exceed the OSHA noise
dosage limit.

But wait, what does that have to do with Birdsongs?  I'm starting to
despair that Birdsongs/Burma/Maximum will never make the jump to CD's...
it looks like I move to Baaahston next weekend; maybe we should schedule
a siege of the Ace of Hearts offices until they accede?

>Really-From: decvax!marko@decwrl.DEC.COM (D. Mark Ouellette)
>
>I'm still trying to win my wife over to Kate but it's not easy!  She's
>not easy to convince on many things though.  I'm still trying to get her
>to listen to Queensryche (another Kate fan Metal band!) with about
>the same results!  She's not any easily convinced person!

Hmmm...I think I see the problem.  Maybe you should first make it
perfeKTly clear that Kate is *not* a heavy metal band...   :-)

I had a terrible time trying to convince the masscomp to run its clock
at 400kHz (200 per channel) and had to settle for a `measly' 100kHz per.
But at any rate (ha ha, get it?  oh, nevermind) I now have a cassette of
the X4 message, repeated 6 times each at playback rates of 60 to 100kHz
in 5kHz increments, with one spot of A/D clipping at the very end of the
message.  About the only use for the slowest rate is to count out syllables.
Time to listen listen listen!

None of you out there would have a quick'n dirty program handy to
stretch out the time without munging the frequency domain, would you?

gleep,

-dave
--
David T. Hsu			Newsaholic Emeritus