Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: PG on CD

From: doug@doug.sgi.com (Doug Solomon)
Date: Fri, 22 May 87 17:04:20 PDT
Subject: Re: PG on CD
News-Path: sgi!wdl1!sun!decwrl!ucbvax!EDDIE.MIT.EDU!Love-Hounds-request

> Really-From: Nancy Everson <everson@SPCA.BBN.COM>
>
> PG I, II, and II are now out on CD.  BCD in Cambridge has them all.  I

You might also add that they are "imports" running around $18.99 - $19.99.
Is anyone else getting tired of spending extra cache only to find out
that two weeks (or months or maybe even years) later the domestic copy
becomes available at 12.99?
I recently saw a CURE CD containing both 'Faith' and '17_Seconds' on
one domestically released disc.
Stupid me, I should have waited 2 years, right?
My answer: Wrong, 2 years of listening to these fine CDs was worth it.
However, the time differential for the 'Dreaming' was more like 3 months.
Personally, I don't buy the theory that import CDs sound better than domestics.
I'm sure there are specific cases where it might be true, such as the Japanese release of PIL's most recent 'Album' is labeled ADD whereas the domestic
and European are AAD.
BTW, in this case their was about a year lag prior to domestic release.

My suggestion is that US record companies should at least publish
release scheduals.
Actually, this reminds me that import copies of 'So' surfaced about
two weeks prior to domestic availablity.  Hmm, I wonder???
One record store I called reguarding PGIII quized me in an effort to determine
whether I was a 'Record Company Prick' from Warner before informing me they had
it in stock.
BCD of San Fransisco sold out its first shipment within an hour (5/22).

-doug-