Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Roger Miller

From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Thu, 21 May 87 11:29:03 EDT
Subject: Roger Miller

Yow.  Don't know why I didn't get around to posting this sucker earlier,
must be the strain of finals.... *sigh*

Anyways, our local college radio station, WMUA, put on their exciting "WMUA
Day Jumbo Free Concert" featuring Moving Targets, Buffalo Tom and Roger
Miller.  Now, being a Birdsongs fan, and having read raves about Mr. Miller's
act in this very electronic forum, I decided to bop on down and check
him out.  I don't know what WMUA did wrong, but there was virtually nobody
in the hall.  "So much the better" thought I, and promptly plunked my butt
down front and center, about 2 feet from the stage.
   Folks, I cannot recommend Roger Miller highly enough!  He is phenomenal!
Using a single Yamaha baby grand piano and a battery of effects boxes (plus
nuts, bolts, combs, alligator clips and other appliances that he puts on the
strings of the piano in order to damp the sound or otherwise mutate it), this
dude manages to create a wall of sound the likes of which you've never heard.
His typical modus operandi is to pound a horrifyingly evil sounding
percussive riff using the damped piano strings, get it repeating with a
digital looping unit and then add layers of noise over it.  He performed
a Jimi Hendrix cover, using a fuzzbox, flanger and pitch bender to make
the piano sound just like a guitar.  Uncanny.
   If he is ever within 50 miles of you, GO SEE HIM!  Or buy the records,
although I'm sure that the aural assault of "Voluptuous Airplanes" must
lose something when it's not being boomed out of speakers 20' high, with
Miller pounding away like a maniac in front of you.

Whatta guy!

--Jon Drukman
"I'm feeling extrovert
 Instead of quiet and shy, I'm really dying to flirt!"