Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: decvax!marko@decwrl.DEC.COM (D. Mark Ouellette)
Date: 22 May 87 15:45:02 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: elrond.CalComp.COM

From: marko@elrond.CalComp.COM (D. Mark Ouellette)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: ...an insKripTion inside -- straight from his heart to mine, I hope!
Date: 22 May 87 15:44:59 GMT

In article <8705202317.AA23028@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@EDDIE.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>
> Thanks very much for the kind notice, Cameron.
>
> To Mark Ouellette:
> No great disrespect was intended by IED's remarks re Iron Maiden, Mark.

No offense taken.

> It's great to hear that the band admire Kate's music.
> In this listener's opinion, however, it's unfortunate
> that that admiration seems nowhere to be reflected in their own music,

I too cannot detect any of Kate's influence in Maiden's tunes but then
they are Iron Maiden and Kate is Kate.  Each has thier own brand of
music.  I listen to Maiden for what THEIR music is and I listen to
Kate for HER music.  I like some variety!  Admittedly, I am most partial
to Heavy Metal music but I still like/listen/appreciate other types
of music too.

> which instead conforms all too often to an extremely tired genre.

Based on personal preference, I'd be inclined to disagree with that
but we all have our own opinions and I'd have to say we are all
entitiled to them.  But who's to say which is right?

> IED never meant to say that all of Heavy Metal was exclusively
> devoted to a single subject; only that there was a definite obsession
> among these bands with costume-shop mediaevalism and anachronistic
> notions of masculine heroism.

You've got a VERY valid point here.  But then consider this, the music
is for the most part of the loud and agressive nature, right?  Those
subjects do tend to lend themselves quite well to the music.

> Even you admitted that Iron Maiden often use exactly
> the kind of subjects which IED has associated them with.
> Your comments about the group do not reduce the
> likelihood that their use of 'KT' is a reference to Arthurian chivalry,
> magic, loud blood-and-guts bravery, etc. And just for the
> record, it's KT, not TK.

I stand corrected on the KT.  I wasn't too sure about it but it looked
like the T came before the K in the picture.  Yes, you may be right
about the symbol and Maiden's use of it but then I still wouldn't write
it off as a reference to Kate... Check the cover of "Somewhere In Time"
out sometime.  It has alot of references to current British and Maiden
culture on it.

This has been a flame-free message so please don't mistake it as being
non-friendly argumentive rebuttal.  Just a return of personal opinion
and insights.

On a Kate-note, anybody have any recommendations on the Kate Live at
the Hammersmith-Odeon?  Our local record store has the video.  Any
comments on the sound/camera quality? Highly recommended? Better
recommendations?

I'm still trying to win my wife over to Kate but it's not easy!  She's
not easy to convince on many things though.  I'm still trying to get her
to listen to Queensryche (another Kate fan Metal band!) with about
the same results!  She's not any easily convinced person!

> -- Andrew
>    Remember, So-Cal L-Hs: party Friday

Keep Rockin' !!!

"Take Hold Of The Flame" - Queensryche '84

--
  :[]:     Mark "METAL" Ouellette - Calcomp, A Lockheed Company
   ||                               (603) 885-8038
  (  )
  (__)