Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

physical/verbal insults

From: tsung@aerospace.aero.org
Date: Tue, 19 May 87 07:52:24 -0800
Subject: physical/verbal insults
Posted-Date: Tue, 19 May 87 07:52:24 -0800

IED writes:

>There is no reason on earth strong enough for suppressing
>anyone's verbal communication. If Wicinski commits physical acts
>of violence, subversion, etc., that's one thing. If he's just talking,
>FUCKING WELL LET HIM.

Verbal forms of attack can do just as much damage as physical acts.
Why favor one over the other?  How is "thought police" different,
in principle, from our ordinary, "physical" police system?

Demanding freedom means taking the burden of protection from the
society onto oneself; most of us are not ready for total freedom.

Fu-Sheng