Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: bacKwards Taping

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Mon, 18 May 87 22:57:40 PDT
Subject: Re: bacKwards Taping

-------
Paul, if I read your description correctly, you flip over the reels
in place (not swapping them) and then re-thread through the housing.
If this is correct, then you are actually playing back through the back
of the tape, which accounts for the low sound quality you get. I tried this
with a Sony UX-S hi-bias tape and could not get anything upon playback
(although thinking now I might not have been playing the right side of the
tape). I would be curious to find out the brand and type of tape you used
so I could try to replicate this. It's great to hear from others tackling
this from the lo-cost, lo-tech point of view. Not all of us can afford
reel-to-reel or 4-track tape set-ups. Can you spell KLUDGE?...

MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------