Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 May 87 11:37:58 bst

>From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>Subject: "No, I suppose not!"

>The issue we face here is whether that is something to be
>"regulated" or not. In IED's opinion, there should be ABSOLUTELY
>NO censorship of ANYONE'S writing OF ANY KIND, NO MATTER HOW
>"OFFENSIVE". There is no reason on earth strong enough for suppressing
>anyone's verbal communication.

Does this mean that we should give free reign to the likes of nazis, the
KKK, paedophiles et cetera? Surely one has to draw the line somewhere -
though where that line is is, I admit, difficult to define.
At present, there is a campaign by the gutter press and middle-aged DJs
in GB to ban the Beastie Boys from entering the country. This is plainly
ludicrous. However, some issues such as racism are extremely distressing to
large numbers of people. How must Asians in the East End of London feel about
having excrement shoved through their letter boxes and petrol bombs thrown
into their bedrooms by National Front supporters and then seeing the NF's
papers and pamphlets being sold in their local markets. It is not so easy
to be liberal when you dare not let your children out on the streets for fear
of them being stabbed to death because of the colour of their skin.

Please note: there is NO suggestion that anyone who contributes to this
newsgroup has ever expressed such extreme views associated with the
organisations mentioned above.