Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ranjit%cory.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar)
Date: Sat, 16 May 87 13:08:23 PST

Subject: Latest music purchases
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Bcc:

Today I picked up Harold Budd's _Lovely Thunder_, so I finally have
something to separate Big Black from Kate Bush in my rack.  Unfortunately,
that's probably where it'll spend a lot of its time - it's pleasant, it's
interesting, but it's also bland as white pudding.  Oh well.  I'll put
it on for mood music.

I also picked up a mysterious single with all the markings in Cyrillic.
Hoping for the Russian equivalent of pop music, but it turned out to
be marches.  (Maybe that IS the Russian equivalent of pop music?)
Also a single by Martha and the Muffins (chosen because of the picture
on the sleeve, not because I knew anything about the band).  The front
side, "Women Around the World at Work," sounded like fairly ordinary pop
but with a feminist and political theme, while the back, "Twenty-two
in Cincinatti," reminded me of Cocteau twins and "Revolution Number Nine"
by the Beatles (probably because of the number in the title).

More stuff: Meredith Monk, "Turtle Dreams."  If you've heard Meredith
Monk before, this sounds like that.  If not, I can't describe it really.
Sort of like Kate crossed with an air-raid siren - I mean that in a
complimentary way, if you can believe it.  XTC: Dear God and The Meeting
Place 12" singles.  But everyone's already said everything about those.
(Did you know that _Skylarking_ is one of XTC's least favorite albums?
Info from Bay Area Music Magazine.)  Grieg, Lyric Suite.  That was a
mistake - I meant to get it in piano but I got a symphonic version by
not looking carefully.  Uh - "Motown's Disco Party Pac."  4 12" singles
by Various Artists.  It was on sale.  How long has it been since you
last heard any Disco?  Butthole Surfers: _Rembrandt Pussyhorse_ - or
did I mention that before?  Not at all what I expected (raw punk?) but
better.  What else... Skinny Puppy, _The Perpetual Intercourse_ - didn't
like it at first, the stupid snarling voice of idiotic heavy metal
showing up in nearly all the songs - but, ignoring the voice, it wasn't
bad.  I've only listened to it once.

I had something interesting to tell Love-Hounds, but I forgot it.  Oh well.
I had an insult for Wicinski, but that would be in bad taste now.
I have a fairly interesting article on XTC from Bay Area Music mag. which
I'll photocopy for interested parties.  (Not available in any stores!)
I have George Cross's tape, and I promise he'll get it back before long.

 .......(o o).......  ranjit@cory.berkeley.edu
 ---vvv---U---vvv---  ucbvax!cory!ranjit

	 "The arms race is like two old men standing waist deep
	  in gasoline, arguing about who has more matches."