Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"No, I suppose not!"

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Sat, 16 May 87 10:39 PDT
Subject: "No, I suppose not!"

>Subject: "Breathing the fall out in ..."
>    Here's a question for all you Kate-fans...  Does anybody have the
>text of the "newscast" at the end of "Breathing", I can't seem to get it
>all (damn cheap stereo equipment!).
>
>            "We're the first and last, after the blast"
>
>-- Paul Charette
>   ARPAmail: <charettep@nusc-wpn.ARPA>

Well, Paul, the entire text of the nuclear bomb news report
from Kate's "Breathing" was the subject of the first ever
official "secret message" competition conducted by the Kate
Bush Club, way back in 1979. After two issues and six months,
someone got nearly all the message figured out, and was awarded
some prize or other. Then the Newsletter printed the complete
message in the next issue. If IED remembers, he'll find it soon
and copy it out for all to see.

Re: John Rossi on censorship
As much as he'd like to, John,
IED can't agree with you completely about Wicinski's
comments to Sue being merely "Wicinski-like". The way IED
sees it, Wicinski is truly offensive a lot of the time, and
it's understandable that Sue took them more or less personally.
They occasionally make IED laugh, too, sometimes because
they even seem genuinely funny. But it will do little good to
deny that Wicinski can be extremely foul-mouthed and insulting.

The issue we face here is whether that is something to be
"regulated" or not. In IED's opinion, there should be ABSOLUTELY
NO censorship of ANYONE'S writing OF ANY KIND, NO MATTER HOW
"OFFENSIVE". There is no reason on earth strong enough for suppressing
anyone's verbal communication. If Wicinski commits physical acts
of violence, subversion, etc., that's one thing. If he's just talking,
FUCKING WELL LET HIM.

-- Andrew