Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

going going... gone!

From: ebm@ingres.berkeley.edu (Grady Toss)
Date: Tue, 12 May 87 22:31:13 PST
Subject: going going... gone!

Nancy Everson sez...

> My thoughts on Sue's comments regarding the abuse directed towards her:  I
> think she would get the same amount of abuse from certain people if she
> were male, though this abuse would be a bit different in content.

Exactly.  Of all the net.people I've run into, Wicinski appeals to me as one
of the least prejudiced.  He will abuse anyone, irrespective of race, religion
or gender.  As Nancy (who I guess has been disqualified as a female contrib-
utor to this group--sorry Nancy) points out, the abuse is case-specific, always
finding the most exposed spot to pour the salt in... but it's really the same
experience for each flame-target of Mr. Wicinski.  Again, he does not seem
to discriminate in who he will fry.

I've had similar experiences in other mailing lists... coming up against
people who's attitudes, and seeming tendency to pick on me, I disliked.  My
solution, after trying to discuss it with the group at large--and finding
little or no sympathy for my position--was to drop out of the group.  I'm
sorry Wicinksi and Hofmann have seemingly been banned from this group...
it is sure to reduce the quality of this group.

An alternative mailing list has already begun, and I'm sure that some notice
will be posted here soon enough.  It's been fun... but I too find myself
blanching at the censorship that seems to be suffocating this group.

... gt