Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Buzzcocks, Dreaming, Skylarking, slander, etc.

From: Dave Hsu <hsu@eneevax.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 May 87 00:51:54 EDT
Subject: Re: Buzzcocks, Dreaming, Skylarking, slander, etc.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: seismo!nbs-amrf!oskard
> What the hell, buy buy buy! Buy them both--you must be
>rich enough.  After all, aren't all of us computer wielding Americans rich?
>  ;-)

Gosh, Dave, things can't possibly be SOOOO exciting at nbs that you've
been ignoring us, can they?  I mean, we are talking about Gaithersburg,
aren't we?  (Hmmm, then again, College Park isn't all that hot either)

This computer wielding American admits that while usually comfortable,
richness is still some ways off in his future, if there ate all.
Besides, you've left off all those computer wielding non-Americans from
the UK and Oz who read this list, unless we've taken over there
recently.

>The Dreaming is excellent.  What more can I say?

EXCELLENT?  IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO?  Get down on your knees,
mortal, and don't get up again until you find more superlatives!  More,
more, more!  Write them down until your knuckles are raw, your tendons
beg for mercy, and your keyboard expires from mechanical failure!  Then
go home and listen some more.

Note to Zen adherants: a simple "mu", intoned with appropriate
reverence and awe, will suffice.

>However, I question the infatuation of our fellow
>hounds--it's a lot more than the music--you could call it the SEX factor.
>
>				dno

So long as we don't call it the Max Factor (no! don't hit me! I know it
wasn't that funny)

In a way, you're right and you're wrong.  Although I know it's not what
you meant, it seems highly doubtful that Kate would be able to sing
most of her work if she were male.  Uh, make that a non-castrato male.
Yes, it's more than the music, even if you throw in the voice; it's the
message, the mindset expressed in the lyrics and the performance, the
rest of the picture beyond what can be lifelessly reprinted in a
paint-by-numbers guide.  I'm not quite hitting the right analogy
but suffice it to say that of the few KT addicts I know well, myself
included, almost all of them became hooked on Kate sight unseen.

Not by any means, of course, to suggest that her entrancing visage
might be a liability.  Oops, letting my stoic's guard down again.

Somebody asked if the domestic _The Dreaming_ was otay.  Mine sounds
fine, except that I have nothing to compare it to besides _TWS_, which
still sounds substandard to me.  Is it enough to say that there's still
less hiss on the domestic _TD_ than on the import _HoL_?

-dave
--
David T. Hsu			Newsaholic Emeritus
ARPA:	hsu@eneevax.umd.edu	UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!mimsy!eneevax!hsu