Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Buzzcocks, Dreaming, Skylarking, slander, etc.

From: seismo!nbs-amrf!oskard
Date: Mon, 11 May 87 11:48:21 EDT
Subject: Buzzcocks, Dreaming, Skylarking, slander, etc.

	I'm so far behind in reading my love-hounds trash-I mean uh mail-
that I'm sure you've probably already gone out and bought Singles Going
Steady by the Buzzcocks already, but let me say anyway that I have that
album and also A Different Kind of Tension, and I think ADKoT is a lot
better.  It's more of an "album" whereas Singles.. is just that--a bunch of
singles put on an album.  So buy that one instead, unless somebody else has
any better ideas. What the hell, buy buy buy! Buy them both--you must be
rich enough.  After all, aren't all of us computer wielding Americans rich?
  ;-)

	I bought 2 albums recently,  the Dreaming (sorry if I'm still in
the stone age compared to some of you who own every katelike object in
existence) and Skylarking.
Skylarking was a little dissapointing at first listen since I was looking for
a little more edge than I got, more like the earlier XTC I'm used to,
but I think it could grow on me.  I definitely think they've lost some of
their intensity as middle age has crept up on them, but they have a lot
of melodic complexity there, and all these "string" sections that remind
me of the Beatles.   I guess I'd give it a 7.8.
The Dreaming is excellent.  What more can I say?  It doesn't have the
"dreaminess" I hear on The Ninth Wave (Hello Earth, And Dream of Sheep),
but it stands on its own.  I'll give Kate a 9.8 for this one (nobody gets
a 10).  Sat in Your Lap sounds like a fun song to cover--kick ass rock and
roll dudes!

However, I question the infatuation of our fellow
hounds--it's a lot more than the music--you could call it the SEX factor.
Now that I know I'm going to be flamed to a crisp, I'll leave you all my
address.  Pretty stupid huh?

It doesn't seem that IED has put me on the Kompilation tape list yet.
What's the deal?  Anyway, here it is:

David Oskard
6618 Poplar Ave. #2
Takoma Park, Md. 20912