Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TricKy LyriKs and oTher messages

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Fri, 8 May 87 23:37:36 PDT
Subject: TricKy LyriKs and oTher messages

-------
It looks like IED and I are in agreement over the BKtmM/X4
connection, but are just descibing it differently.

Regarding the "Not This Time" lyrics, I was glad to see Jon's
interpretation as it was much closer to what I had originally.
Unfortunately, it sounds as if poor Katie was pissed out of her
skull (drunk to the rest of you) when she recorded this song, because
the words are so slurred together. Here is what I hear:

     Oh with the mind that renders everything sensitive
     What chance do I have, here
     Put an end, put an end
     Put an end to every dream'
     When you're near, I feel you, and I forget myself

     Not this time, baby
     Not this time
     Not this time, baby (Not this time)

     I don't know why I'm given my doll, every time
     And here I am a'wonderin why I'm didn't 'gain
     "Too-lee-yay, too-lee-yo, too-lee-yay, too-lee-yo, too-lee-yoo", I say
     To keep me goin', to keep the shit away
     I don't know what it is, when you're near
     I feel you, and I forget myself

     Not this time...

and on to the end. The first two lines are very confusing, as I don't
know quite what it could mean. Oh well...

As for my signing off with the "I don't know why I build a mountain,
every time..." it seemed appropriate as I had just spent the previous
hour listening to that damn X4 message. As an engineer that spends
considerable time in laboratory testing, this message and the subsequent
passage "Five, Experiment 4" sound like the types of things that might
be said during the running of the test. And I can't help but feel that
this passage, and the WYWM passage relate to their respective
story lines, just as the "We let the weirdness in" line related to
"Leave It Open".

Now, because it's a slow week, I'll throw out what I hear in the WYWM
backwards track: "Knocking us, knocking us, ___ ___ ___ how many men"
(or something like that, since it's been a couple of weeks since I've
listened to it and I don't have my notes or the tape in front of me).
I know this doesn't fit with the clue in the KBC newsletter, but it
would seem to fit the scene of getting knocked around in the water by
the waves and wondering how many others there are. Maybe I can get
back to it this week...

"In your life, in my life, there are secrets too dark to let out..."

MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@nosc.mil   UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer

-------