Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Fri, 8 May 87 23:34:49 PDT
Subj: HOFMANN, DON'T DO IT!

-------
I don't know what this talk about a boycott is for because most of us don't
know what the HELL is going on. Perhaps a few more details, Jim, would
be enlightening, for what happened to you could happen to any of us.
Also, I think your boycott will only decimate this group without
resolving the problem, as your accuser will probably just go on his
merry way thinking he has succeeded in his purpose. Your best recourse
is to continue on as if nothing happened.

Actually I'm a bit pissed that you lumped all of the rest of us into
the same catagory as your crybaby accuser. These problems with language
seem to crop up periodically in every newsgroup. Unfortunately, I doubt
you'll find a computer mailing list where your freedom of speech is
totally guarenteed, because we are at the mercy of computer system
operators and administrators who run a mostly benevolent dictatorship,
not a democracy. When they get complaints, the easiest thing for them to
do is lift your account and make you justify why you need it back.
Some of us are also at risk of the "powers that be" deciding that what
we're doing is not work related and cutting newsfeeds or lifting our accounts.
Because this mailing list is gatewayed to the Usenet, the chance of someone
getting offended is greater because everyone can read the group unless they
specifically unsubscibe (unlike us on the arpa side who have to request
being on the list)

To whom it may concern:
If you are offended by some of the language you see in this group,
either show some tolerance or get out, as you are not going to get
any sympathy from the rest of us, especially if it results in someone
like Hofmann leaving the group. People like him and Wiscinski are some
of what makes this group interesting (hell, I don't know what I would do
if Wiscinski didn't post a caustic comment occasionally to help keep
everything in perspective).

To the rest of us:
A lot of abuse is thrown around in this group, and most of us see that
it is usually all in jest. However, because this group does see a pretty
large circulation on the Usenet, it might help to periodically put in
some :-) signs when there is a question whether someone might take it
seriously. I would hate to lose people from this group over a
misunderstanding.

MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@nosc.mil         UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------