Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Wed, 20 May 87 14:18:31 EDT

>     has XTC's Skylarking been released in the States with the
>     additional track DEAR GOD.
>
> only on cd, as far as i can tell ...

Nope.  I saw the LP the other day.  Of course, they had to chop off the
song "Mermaid Smiled" in order to fit "Dear God" on, and to tie it loosely
into the "continuity concept" engineered by our dear friend Mr. Rundgren,
they had the ending note of "Dear God" fade and be overlapped by the opening
drum-clicks of "Dying".  Bastards.  Your best bet is to buy the original
"Skylarking" and then either the domestic 12" of "Dear God" or the import
12" of "Grass" (which has "Dear God" as one of the B-Sides).  The reason I
say this is because that way you also get the phenomenal b-side "Extrovert".
What a great tune!  Boppy, catchy, lyrically interesting.  Great stuff.
They even take a nasty jab at Rundgren in the lyrics:
      "No hidden message, nothing political..."

From: epiwrl!epimass!jbuck@seismo.CSS.GOV (Joe Buck)
> Many Usenet sites are at universities, but most sites are commercial
> companies or government.  There are also home computers and public
> access machines on the network.  It's an amazing, but unstable,

Neato!  How do I get *my* computer on USENET?

----In other news:
I've been listening to the frigging backwards message in "Watching You
Without Me" while writing this letter and it has served two purposes:
  A) to distract me
   B) to confuse me even further as to the true meaning of this phrase!
Whoever it was that posted the interpretation "Knocking us, knocking us,
we don't need no symphony being there..." is probably as right as any of
us.  I can't make head nor tail of it, although the passage where she sings
"Really see" backwards is quite pretty.  "We see you here."  Yeah.

--Jon Drukman
"No hidden message, nothing political
 You needn't listen I just wanted to show I'm feeling extrovert,
 Instead of quiet and shy I'm really dying to flirt!"