[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

yet another fIREHOSE review

Impressions of DC3/Firehose/Descendents, Champaign Illinois concert:

Well we all know by now that DC3 suck as bad as their album--reasonable
execution but absolutely no new ideas on top of boring songs.  The only thing
I enjoyed was recognizing a direct Hendrix quote during one guitar solo.

Firehose played well and lively, but I have two problems with what they do:
  1. Their tempo changes are extreme, resulting in irratic sounding songs.
  2. They try to funk out occasionally, in the middle of strong power pop,
     and that too makes things irratic.

The Descendents were completely enjoyable and played equally well, though
Bill says they need better/more guitar solos and I agree.  After the house
lights came on, the Descendents continued to play 4 or 5 tunes run straight
together.  Great concert tshirt!

So, which Descendents album has the killer 7/8 (with 4/4 bridges) fast/thrash
song?  Sorry I don't remember more about the song, other than the instruments
really kicked ass.
--John

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]