Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Deeper, deeper...

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 86 08:05:35 EDT
Subject: Deeper, deeper...

> [IED:] This has nothing to do with the line spoken in German from
> the same part of The Ninth Wave: "Tiefer, tiefer, ergendwo in der
> Tiefe gibt es ein licht." If you notice, that line, spoken by Gabi
> Zangerl, is accompanied by the sounds of a submarine's sonar signal.
> It is IED's theory that this is meant to evoke images of U-boat
> activity during WWII, and possibly to create the feeling of
> claustrophobia that must have existed within the confined spaces of
> a submarine which is a big part of the movie "Das Boot". Kate has
> several times referred to old war movies as a primary inspiration
> for The Ninth Wave.

It has always my impression that the submarine sonar sounds indicate
that Kate is rescued by a submarine.  After all, we have the voice
telling us that "somewhere in the depth, there is a light", then we
hear submarine sounds, and then Kate is safe on land again.

				-Doug

"What about our relationship, Otto???"
"Fuck that!"