Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Random KT KommenTs

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 86 06:13:57 EDT
Subject: Random KT KommenTs

> [Joe Turner:] After an extensive listening to the CD [of *Hounds of
> Love*] with LH moderator Doug Alan, we conclude that the exchange is
> not "What's that?" but rather "What is it?"

We conclude???  Not that it makes any difference at all, but I hear
"What's that?"

Regarding "Waking The Witch":

> [A. Marvick:] IED thinks it could be "come, baby" -- but NOT
> "...listen to me come, baby"!! Just "Listen to me. Come, baby!"  The
> punctuation is crucial -- it's true she's been using some naughty
> language lately, but only when it was relevant to the song's
> meaning.

Come, come now -- aren't we talking about the same woman who has
called "Night of the Swallow", "Nice to Swallow"?  Besides the naughty
meaning would be completely relevant to the song.  The song's about a
a dream of going into a church to confess one's sins and getting
accused of being a witch.  It would make perfect sense in a dream
about confessing to get a little extravagent in describing one's
sexual sins.

> As for t-shirts, the estimate of $6-8 is very low. What kind of
> design are you talking about?

I thought the original proposal was for a shirt with *The Dreaming* on
it.

> But it would be nice to have something else on the back, too,
> perhaps a quotation from one of the songs, one that would mystify
> the ignorant rabble, as does the line from "Hounds of Love" on the
> black sweatshirt.

*The Dreaming* has on the back cover the perfect quote to put on the
back of a Love-Hounds T-Shirt!

> [Sue:] Same songs as the Brit 12", but it's in a sturdy cardboard
> sleeve instead of the flimsy type UK 12"s come in.  (A friend with a
> taste for social commentary says that's because the British feel
> that pop music is inherently disposable, and what's more disposable
> than a single, you'll just want to throw it away anyway.

I don't think so.  I think they just do it to be consistent.  It's a
12" single, so they package them like a big single, rather than like
an album, which is how they package them here.  They seem to package
singles much better in England than in the US, and albums too.  But
single packaging in England is not as good as album packaging in the
US, so 12" singles come out packaged better here.  They do usually do,
however, a better job of pressing the singles in England, and also
they are normally 45 rpm, which is better than 33 rpm.

> [James Turner:] A source in the Netherlands swears up and down that
> he owns and can purchase more of "The Dreaming". I'm working out a
> deal where several copies will find their way into American hands,
> but don't really feel like fronting a group effort, especially at
> the $30+/CD it's gonna cost.

I'll see it when I believe it!

-Doug

"After all, Vergil had turned his piss blue.  They were friends."