Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: John Lorch <umcp-cs!jhunix!ecf_hydb@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 86 11:54:30 EDT

Love-Hounds Digest			Issue L12

>If anyone is interested in taking some real adventures in musical
>innovation rather than spending the summer on the tame (though pretty)
>stuff KB is doing these days, most of CAN's albums are available (when
>you can find them) for under five dollars.  Do yourself a favor.  Find
>out what Holger Czukay was like before he grew up.

>Chris Valas

	Let's hear it for Holger!  I think the stuff he's done since he
grew up is pretty hot, too. "Movies" is an incredible album, if only for
"Persian Love" and "Cool in the Pool". His next two, "on the way to the
peak of normal" and "den Osten ist Rot", are good but (I think) more
difficult.
	I have two Irmin Schmidt albums, "Toy Planet" and "Film Music vol.1"
both are quite fine, and highly recommended.

> 1. Japan: Tin Drum and Gentlemen Take Polaroids
> 2. David Sylvian: Brilliant Trees
> 3. YMO: BGM and Technodelic
> 4. Ippu-Do: Night Mirage
> 5. Miharu Koshi: Tutu and Parallelisme

Another Japanese music fan. Good taste, IED. Have you tried following
the YMO clan as solos? Quite an expensive hobby, but worthwhile. Are
there other LH "Nipponophiles" out there?

>Many people have claimed that PGIII is the PGs of all PGs.

	I've heard several people on the net say that. My personal
two drachmas worth is that PGIV is the best. The only song that I
think is less than a masterpiece on that album is "Kiss of Life",
which is still a good song. BTW, if and when he tours, sell your
mother for a seat, but *go see him*. I've seen him six times, and
he has been absolutely incredible each time. The last two (same tour,
a week apart) were the weakest, I think because of the computer
lighting, but still blew away anyone else I've ever seen. I'd be
interested in seeing Bruce Springsteen just to compare the two.

>(Melanie would be my first choice and ? Oldfield who does work with
>Mike Oldfield and did the memorable vocal on Voyage of the Acolyte,
>second).
   Sally Oldfield, worthy of some attention herself.

Just a note- SO is, technically, PG VII. "Plays Live" and "Birdy" both
appeared in there. I know, live albums don't really count, and I can
see arguments for calling Birdy only a half, but ...

------

>I am unsure how to get the journal "Bit". Maybe you should come to my house,
>IED, and I'll show it to you. Perhaps you could appear for.... (drum roll,
>pleez...)

>	The Second Semi-quarterly Biannual LOVE-HOUNDS Summer Gathering of
>		Wits, Bodies, Food, Money, Records and etc!!!

>Time to be decided. Place to be decided. But it's the summer, and probably
>nearing the release date of HoL from last year, definately time for a 6-month
>anniversary of LH's continued existance, it's getting to be Kate's b-day soon,
>and it's a good excuse for a party, anyway!     Comments? Suggestions? Maybe
>we could even have the LH t-shirt printed in time for it... By the by, the
>price of a t-shirt, to be printed up and everything, would be about $6 - $8.

	Funny you should mention it. This past Saturday was the date of the
(drum roll, please)
	Fourth Annual Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush WJHU Memorial Crab Feast

a grand tradition that was started on the occaision of Pete's last
concert tour (yes, it's been four years), which I believe occurred
either on or near Kate's bday. I counted at least three LoveHound
denizens there - meself, Sue Trowbridge, and a mystery guest who asked
to remain anonymous. Maybe we should expand on this next time.

>(Oh, and Douglas... as soon as those "The Dreaming" cd's come in, I'll give
>you a ring....)
	When? Where? I want one, too!

John Lorch
JHU/HCF
veteran of the soon-to-be late lamented WJHU