Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: J Eric Roskos <think!harvard!topaz!peora!jer>
Date: 09 Jan 86 09:37:07 EST (Thu)

>    KATE: Right!  [Little laugh.] Well, uh, [in an amused and puzzled
>          tone of voice] I think you... it's kind of weird the level
>                                                     -----
>          of interpretation that you are reading into things,
>          because...

Oh, my... this is most discouraging and depressing... sort of like the
essence of the solipsism in the Human Experience, you know?  Sort of like
the cranial sutures, which, though inseparable, are distinct and not
united for all their intertwining...

I remember one of my professors in college, the one who taught Romantic
Poetry, Charles Lloyd (famous coach of the undefeated GE College Bowl
champions years ago) said, once,

	You write these poems, and people find meaning in them that
	you didn't know was there.  So, did you really put it there,
	did you really mean to say that?

	[a long pause]

	Certainly, you did.  You knew it was there!

It's hard to believe that poetry that is consistent, and basically good
poetry, should also be accidental.  I can believe that of Jon Anderson,
who writes meaningless phrases that you find meaning in, like patterns on
a randomly-patterned wall, but not with coherent poetry.

Maybe there's more to it than that... I wonder if John Carder Bush reads
her lyrics and says, "why don't you change this to say ..." ?  Or if maybe
it's like the explanation of the backwards singing.

Reading this interview reminds me a lot of an interview with Vangelis, where
he simply refuses ever to say anything at all, only "I play the music,
and it comes out."  More than that, it is somehow disarming...

Well, I've got to get to work... more later.