Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: umcp-cs!aplcen!uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 85 17:13:46 EST

>From ins_aset@jhunix Wed Nov 27 12:17:45 1985 remote from jhunix
Date:     Wed, 27 Nov 85 12:17:37 EST
From:     Susanne E Trowbridge <ins_aset@jhunix>
Subject:  KB in People????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, you'd never guess it - a review of "HOL" in People! I guess Kate's
really big-time now, eh? :-)

I will reprint it here without permission (cleverly concealing the magazine
in my backpack so that no one in the computer room will know I have a copy
of People - no, really, my mom sent it to me.  Really.).

HOUNDS OF LOVE
Kate Bush

Singer-songwriter-keyboardist Bush is very popular in her native England.
This self-produced album should enhance her reputation here.  True, she's
not likely to become the biggest of pop stars, because her songs are often
morose, resembling Shakespearean soliloquies a lot more than they do Top
40 hits.  Her lyrics also reflect a primitive belief in animism, conjuring
up images of Stonehenge: "Go to sleep little earth/I was there at the birth/
Out of the cloud burst the head of the Tempest."  Nonetheless, such songs
as "RUTH" and the title track boast inventive, overdubbed harmonies, dark
ritualistic drumming and a stark magnetism reminiscent of Stevie Nicks' best
work.  (Sue's note -- BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!)  "Mother Stands For Comfort"
and "Cloudbusting" are atmospheric in a sad, wistful way too.  For those
with a taste for dreamy, brooding music, this could be an engrossing album.

-David Hiltbrand

And now, an additional note on "HOL" reviews.  Remember the passage that
was quoted here a couple of weeks ago about Kate playing Ophelia to her own
Hamlet.  That was written by a good friend of mine, J.D. Considine, in Musi-
cian magazine.  He is not a big Kate fan.  I asked what it meant, and he
said, "Read the play," or words to that effect.  "These literary allusions
go right over people's heads."  He's a nice guy though.  We disagree a lot.

-Sue