Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: hsut@purdue-ecn.ARPA (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 85 17:53:33 EST

Really-from: Bill Hsu

Someone (Sue?) brought up a reviewer's comment about Kate Bush "playing
Ophelia to her own Hamlet". The remark is not completely inappropriate,
but it seems a typical line from people who feel that Kate's music
is too "artsy" or pretentious (of course the same complaint can be
made about the reviewer who made the original remark :-) ).

In Hamlet, Ophelia drowned herself after being ignored by Hamlet and
getting the news that Hamlet had killed Ophelia's father (by mistake).
I guess you could make the connection to Kate's songs about unrequited
love (All the Love, etc) and emotionally abused women (The Kick Inside,
Get Out of My House). And of course the Ninth Wave was about drowning.
The reviewer probably has the stereotyped view of Kate Bush being
an over-romantic songstress trying to write art music rather than the
multi-faceted and complex talent she is.

Of course I don't mind Kate's occasional pretensions. Heck, it's fun
being pretentious...! :-)

				"The spoiled baby grows into
				 The escapist teenager who's
				 The adult alcoholic who's