Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: David Hockney

From: jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 07:29:31 PDT
Subject: Re: David Hockney

Well, if no one else seems to know of him, I'll say that he's a pretty
firm foundation of the NY "scene" these days, and has been sort of a
wunderkid for quite a few years now. He's a Rauchenberg for those who
feel Rauchenberg's record is stuck in that grove-thang (track 4, side
1), and does all kinds of things, not just painting (I've seen some
drawings, photographs, collages ... etc). He's a pretty straightforward
sort, with no mysticism or idiosyncracies to gossip about -- just sort
of a schoolboy who runs around and creates stuff. I rather like his
photography -- pretty Warhol-ish, but a lot more refined technique.

Tim Wicinski asks "wonder what the big deal is" ... what *ever* is the
big deal? The is no correlation between the "fantastic" and who is
"hep" in the "scene" ... sometimes it so happens that they are one in
the same, but not necessarily...

Hockney is actually sort of a yuppie-artist, come to think of it.
Yeah, "finally an artist that the BMW set can RELATE to ..."

All in all, tho, I like his stuff.

Check him out if you can ... there's tons of it in NY for you all in
The City (or nearby ... *sob* *sniff* ...)

/jordan