Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: More on "My Lagan Love"

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 15:00:49 edt
Subject: Re: More on "My Lagan Love"

>> [Me:]

>>	lagan also ligan or lagend -- n. Cargo or equipment thrown into
>>	   the sea but attached to a float or buoy so that it can be
>>	   recovered.
>>

> I checked into this too, but I think the medieval meaning of the word might
> be a little more in line with the song.  According to the dictionary I dug
> up, "lagan" comes from the Middle French "lagan" and the Medieval Latin
> "laganum" meaning "debris washed up from the sea"....

> To me this makes more sense, unless someone really did take her for a bouy...

> /Kevin Carosso             engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA

I dunno.  I think the definition from my dictionary makes more sense,
since the song seems to about her Lagan love having gone to sea.
Perhaps he died?  Or perhaps he went on a boat that has never returned?
I think he died, because the lines

	Where Lagan's light fell on the hour
	I saw him far below me
	Just as the morning calmed the storm
	And no one there to hold him

seem to me to conjure up the image of looking down at him in a grave.

"Lagan" appears to be used as the name of someone though -- perhaps a
cargo god?  :-)

			"And nothing's left to warn me"

			 Doug