Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More on "My Lagan Love"

From: Kevin Carosso <engvax!KVC@cit-vax.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 85 18:39:03 PDT
Subject: More on "My Lagan Love"

> Well my dictionary says:
>
>	lagan also ligan or lagend -- n. Cargo or equipment thrown into
>	   the sea but attached to a float or buoy so that it can be
>	   recovered.

I checked into this too, but I think the medieval meaning of the word might
be a little more in line with the song.  According to the dictionary I dug
up, "lagan" comes from the Middle French "lagan" and the Medieval Latin
"laganum" meaning "debris washed up from the sea".  Perhaps the word "lagan"
exists in modern French with this same meaning?  Kate would've known it then,
I suspect.

To me this makes more sense, unless someone really did take her for a bouy...

	/Kevin Carosso             engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA