Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KB, SV, King Crimson, Joni, Joan Armatrading ...

From: hound!hejira
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 85 11:03:40 edt
Subject: KB, SV, King Crimson, Joni, Joan Armatrading ...

>From: Doug Alan <nessus>

>> From: Rob Preston	<ihnp4!hound!hejira   -- AT&T Bell Labs>

>Look at that -- two albums in one path....

Yup!  I thought of "oflove" (hound!oflove) as a user-id, but then thought
it might appear a little too corny, particularly to the uninitiated.

>> [Me:] I'm not sure if that's [Je ne suis pas ici] what she's saying though
>> -- have to listen to it again tonight.

> No way.

Well, I listened to it again.  Unless her French is pitifully bad, that is
*definitely* not what she's saying.  Could be "Oui, ici" or "Really see".

> In German: "Deep.  Deep.  Somewhere in the darkness, give her your light."

Dankeshoen!  I'm impressed; I caught the "gib" and the "Licht", but nothing
else.

>> [Me:] The other day, while leafing through the Rolling Stone Magazine Review
>> of Music (title?)

> Is this a book, or what?

Yup, it's a book.  A collection of album reviews, indexed by artist.

>> [Me:] I do feel her first two albums are rather mundane.

> In fact, if it wasn't for "Breathing" (one of Kate's very very best
> songs ever)

(true)

> on "Never for Ever", I'd like "The Kick Inside" better than
> "Never for Ever".

Blasphemy!

>> [Me:] Reminds [Suzanne Vega] me of Joni Mitchell's Hejira album -- wonderful
>> ballads.

> Though quite better!

Perhaps.  Then again, I'm partial to the jazzier sound of "hejira".  You
might give it (hejira) another try.  I especially like the song "Furry
Sings the Blues" -- any Memphians here to slam it??  There's actually a
better version of the track on "Shadows and Light" -- with Pat Metheny
Group as backup.

>> [Me:] Anyway, I recommended both SV and KB's HoL to a friend with similar
>> tastes to mine.  The reaction -- she *loves* SV and absolutely
>> *loathes* KB.

> Well SV is quite less challenging musically.

True, but her lyrics are *wonderful* -- and are more accessible to a larger
audience than those of KB.

> Why does she *loathe*
> KB?  Too pop?  Not pop enough?  Too progressive?  Not progressive
> enough?  Well?

She found it "too pop".  Then again, her first exposure to KB was side 1 of
HoL.  I told her to give it another chance, but she seems resigned to the
notion that it's loathsome.

------

Hey, no one took up my cue.  Any Joan Armatrading fans around?  I picked
up "The Key" the other night and noticed, for the first time, that several
members of King Crimson (great group!) were backup musicians, as well as
Stewart Copeland.  Actually, that's not one of her better albums, in my
opinion.  Although she considers herself in the same genre as Flock of
Seagulls etc, my feeling is that she really shines with her ballads.

		-  Rob Preston	<ihnp4!hound!hejira   -- AT&T Bell Labs>