Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Some more replies to jer

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 85 05:34:07 edt
Subject: Some more replies to jer

> From: jer

> I like the idea of a yo-yo being bad for you because it's radioactive
> better than because of a strange science-fiction story.

It's not a strange science-fiction story -- it's a "true" story!  Which
means that you should find it just as interesting as if it were
radioactive....  Oh, by the way, radium was a catalyst for the Orgone
accumulator and for the cloudbuster, and Wilhelm Reich nearly killed his
wife by accident once with the radium.

>> [Me:] (Henry Chai got the 10 point bonus question!)

> You mean, you're not going to reveal this, and it's not in her
> ear?....  How about a clew, instead?

It's on the back cover.

> My analogy (such as it was) was more along the lines of "why have
> sympathy for animals that would eat you if they had the opportunity?"

I've never heard of anyone being eaten by a cow....

> Anyhow, all the vegetarians I have known have just had this way of
> behaving and of speaking, which was very distinct; they were sort of
> shy, very quiet, but underlying this quietness, they had strong
> opinions which they just didn't express unless prompted a good bit.
> They were always very warm and wholesome individuals.  (There are some
> other examples I have known that fit the above characteristic; in
> fact, only the one, that I knew of, who was different).  But beneath
> this very subtle and quiet surface, they were always very complex.
> They always seemed fundamentally in touch with the Human Experience,
> somehow.

Sounds to me like a fairly accurate description of KB!

> By the way... what is the 3rd goodbye?  I thought maybe it meant
> Kate's name wasn't really Kate... because it doesn't sound like Kate
> to me.

I dunno.  KB's real name is *very* definitely Catherine Bush, though.
("Heathcliff, it's me... Cathy")

>> [Me:] [I don't trust poets that use the word "fruition".]

> I don't understand what you mean.

Do I know Yes better than you?  Hey, you posted those lyrics....

>> The KBC says she's too busy to answer mail right now (she hasn't
>> answered any of mine), so you might want to wait a year or so to write
>> if you want an answer.

> I always have the delusion that if I write a careful enough letter,
> someone will answer.  Often this fails.  You have to catch someone's
> interest.

You can get an answer -- you just have to do it at a time when the
person you want to answer it isn't getting only three hours of sleep a
night....

> No, I think only Jon Anderson writes "love songs" right, just look at
> this brief excerpt, for example:

But have you even heard any of Kate's love songs?  Like "Moving" or
"L'Amour Looks Something Like You"?

Regarding the song "Hounds of Love":

> Notice how, in the song, until the hounds are mentioned the first
> time, the accompanying vocals that eventually become the hounds baying
> don't sound like hounds; they say "doo doo doo doo doo, doo doo"
> instead.

You are right!  I was confused for a while why sometimes they seemed to
sound more hound-like than other times.

> What does that voice say at the end of "The Dreaming"?  The slow one.

It's some lyrics to an Aborigine song entitled "Airplane, Airplane".

> I don't know what Bose 901s are! Sounds like a kind of "shrink to fit"
> dungaree.

Speakers designed by MIT professor Amar Bose.  They are very
untraditional -- reflecting most of the sound off of the walls and using
9 midrange drivers (no woofers or tweeters) and an active equalizer.
Some people say they are great and some people say they are awful.  I
say they are okay.

> But, David Byrne is the "Diane" (of Sam&Diane fame) of rock music!

Please explain further.

> I think meaning is an essential part of poetry (though I am a realist
> by nature), if only because people make so much of meaningless poetry.

Well, I'm a surrealist by nature, so I think clashing contradictory and
inconsistent meanings together is wonderful.

> Mine is definitely pink, with only traces of black and purple in some
> places... does yours have really high contrast between the various
> colors?  Mine is fairly muddy looking.  Maybe it is a later one, and
> the plastic had gotten all mixed together.

I dunno.  The contrast between the colors isn't all that great on mine
either, but it doesn't look muddy.  In fact, it looks a lot like marble.
Fancy that!

> But my SO is not a "yotch"!  Also, Kate Bush just looks too
> artificial, somehow, to "lust after".  People worthy of lusting after
> look more like "Melanie" (what was her last name?  Something like
> Safka, I think), and "Martha" who I mentioned the other day from MTV.

Blecho!  KB is *much* *much* more interesting looking.  (Personally, I
think she's one of the most beautiful women there are -- it's not a
beauty of physical perfection, but of radiating personality.  But, I
respect her *way* to much to lust after her.  (Oh no, does this mean
that I can't respect my SO? ....))

Besides, all the yotches like the pictures that are contrived by some
banal photographer to make her look like the beautiful girl next door
(which aren't on any of her record covers except the American "Kick
Inside"), rather than the ones that bring out her interesting
personality.  Now, the cover of "Never for Ever" (both front and back
and gatefold inside) -- now *there's* a record cover!

> Musicians nowadays... I guess they are all influenced by punk rock or
> something.

What cup of wisdom would lead you to believe that....

>> Listen, music is more important than SOs any day.  Dump her and keep
>> the KB albums.

> Shucks, no!  There aren't any other SOs like my SO... she has 2
> PhDs!

Well there aren't many musicians like Kate Bush!  Hey, KB has 10
O-levels....  And a four octave voice....

> Also, she can read both Latin and Greek,

How useful!

> When Kate Bush works words like "recidivist" into her "love songs",
> then I will reconsider.

Me too!!!!

Regarding driving in Manhattan:

> I wouldn't believe an art major who used the phrase "artsy fartsy",
> either... I'll bet she was one of these what Tom Robbins calls "I went
> to college but it didn't do anything for me" people!

I agree!  I think she was into making jewlery or something....

		 The night doesn't like it
		 Looks just like a recidivist on the moon to me

		 Doug