Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Jig Of Life

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 85 05:26:24 edt
Subject: Jig Of Life

> From: jer

>> [Me:] Why do you say that the old lady in the mirror is her mother?
>> Why not herself?  KB doesn't say the old lady is in her mirror -- she
>> says the old lady comes to her and says "I'll be sitting in your
>> mirror".

> The face in the mirror is Kate Bush (or the narrator); but she looks
> there and sees that this face is very much like the face of her mother
> when she was born:

But Kate *doesn't* look in a mirror!  The old lady says to her "*I* will
be in your mirror".  And in 50 years, the old lady *will* be in Kate's
mirror because the old lady *is* Kate -- 50 years from now.

> that is what the line "Now is the place where the crossroads meet"
> means, I think.

No, it doesn't.  That line means "Now is an important moment in time
because you are either going to drown or not, and it's up to you which
one."

> I think "My part of your life" is the part having to do with the
> continuation of life across generations.

No, it doesn't.  The old lady is part of Kate's life, because she is
what KB will become.  And she is saying "Don't say goodbye to my part of
your life -- don't say goodbye to your future -- don't let yourself
drown."

>> 		       And the one hand clapping

> See, I think this is a key line.

Yeah, it's saying "Your life is not complete yet, so don't let
yourself drown."

>> 		  Where on your palm is my little line
>> 	     When you're written in mine as an old memory"

> However, I don't fully understand the above two lines at present.

That's because you ignored my definitive explanation!  These two lines
are saying "To you, I'm only a possible future, but to me, you are an
old memory."

			"Will we look into the future?"

			 Doug