Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: A few comments ...

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 85 06:34:20 edt
Subject: Re: A few comments ...

> From: Rob Preston	<ihnp4!hound!hejira   -- AT&T Bell Labs>

Look at that -- two albums in one path....

> Not quite -- "I'm not here" would be "Je ne suis pas ici."

I really know French that well.  Sorry, it was a slip.

> I'm not sure if that's what she's saying though -- have to listen to
> it again tonight.

No way.

> Speaking of foreign-sounding passages, does anyone know what Kate is
> saying at the end of "Hello Earth" (at least, I think it's "Hello
> Earth")?  Sounds like German to me, but I can't quite make it out.
> Nothing I have come up with makes sense.

In German: "Deep.  Deep.  Somewhere in the darkness, give her your light."

> Geez, I never received that "Orgone" explanation you're referring to.
> Problems with uucp links, I suppose.  Still, would you mind re-posting
> that article?

Eddie's connection with ihnp4 died, so people who were receiving stuff
through ihnp4 might be missing a week or two of stuff.  Someday the
connection might come back, and then 200K of stuff will probably appear
in your mailbox.  (I'll send people copies of things they might want if
they ask me.)

>> [Me:] But actually, I also found "The Kick Inside" (which I bought
>> several months after "The Dreaming") to be pretty abrasive!  I
>> certainly wasn't expecting that above-soprano brittle wailing voice!

> Can it be??  Sounds like criticism.

No, I think that above-soprano brittle wailing voice is great!  (Though,
I like her new voice better.)

> The other day, while leafing through the Rolling Stone Magazine Review
> of Music (title?)

Is this a book, or what?

> I do feel her first two albums are rather mundane.

Foo!!!  Back then Kate may not have been quite the mature artist (but
what do you expect from a teenager) she is now, and her first two album
might not compare to "The Dreaming", but even back then she was one of
the best and most original musical talents ever.  So there!

In fact, if it wasn't for "Breathing" (one of Kate's very very best
songs ever) on "Never for Ever", I'd like "The Kick Inside" better than
"Never for Ever".

> (they have a new shipment of the marbled edition [KB goes tacky] and a
> few CDs as of Sunday).

I doubt that Kate had much to do with it being on marbleized vinyl.
Certainly an EMI-America gimmick.

> Oh yeah, I bought Suzanne Vega a few months ago after reading rave
> reviews in net.music .. think it's terrific.

Glad to hear that you like it!

> Reminds me of Joni Mitchell's Hejira album -- wonderful ballads.

Though quite better!

> Anyway, I recommended both SV and KB's HoL to a friend with similar
> tastes to mine.  The reaction -- she *loves* SV and absolutely
> *loathes* KB.

Well SV is quite less challenging musically.  Why does she *loathe*
KB?  Too pop?  Not pop enough?  Too progressive?  Not progressive
enough?  Well?

> (J'attend vos reponses avec impatience...)

Really?  See!

-Doug