Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Re: And Dream of Sheep

From: jerpc.PE.UUCP@topaz.rutgers.edu
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 85 02:32:40 edt
Subject: Re: Re: And Dream of Sheep

> > I am not convinced anything on the album, other than "Jig of Life,"
> > has any metaphors to it, yet.
>
> Oh come now!  The whole of "The Ninth Wave" is metaphorical is the same
> way that Conrad's "The Hurricane" is metaphorical.

I didn't say it wasn't metaphorical... I just said I hadn't
determined that it was yet.

> Also, RUTH is *not*
> about jogging and construction workers!  (Don't worry J. Eric, I'll get
> around to responding to that claim sometime soon....)

You would have a much harder time convincing me of that than of
anything else at the moment, since I am now fairly convinced.
You would have to explain these things:

	What the hill symbolizes.
	What the road symbolizes.
	What the building symbolizes.
	What the phrase "with no problems" means.

	And, finally, why the song has an angry tone.

> "Hounds of Love"
> is not really about dogs.

That's obvious.

> "The Big Sky" is not really about walking on
> clouds.

The big sky is about the same thing this Yes song is about:

	As we try and consider,
	We receive all we venture to give.
	All we say is our soul, constant sight-listener;
	We won't tender our song clear till we sail.
	Then I will be there.
	I will be there, as clearer companions
	will call to be near you.
	They move around --tell me that they move around,
	Surely sing-- as they don't seem to matter at all.
	At all...

> And, actually, "Jig of Life" (the part Kate sings, rather) is the most
> straightforward song on the album.  Once you figure it out, nearly every
> line is completely clear and unambiguous.  The subtle and poetic way she
> says what she's saying is so perfect, though, it's a masterpiece!

But that's what good poetry is good for.  It shouldn't be
undecipherable.

> 		"Now is the place where the crossroads meet"

	"As is written in the Koan, `what is the sound of one
	 hand clapping,' so we believe that the audience is
	 an essential part of our music." -- Jon Anderson