Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: And Dream of Sheep

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 85 04:59:46 edt
Subject: Re: And Dream of Sheep

> I am not convinced anything on the album, other than "Jig of Life,"
> has any metaphors to it, yet.

Oh come now!  The whole of "The Ninth Wave" is metaphorical is the same
way that Conrad's "The Hurricane" is metaphorical.  Also, RUTH is *not*
about jogging and construction workers!  (Don't worry J. Eric, I'll get
around to responding to that claim sometime soon....)  "Hounds of Love"
is not really about dogs.  "The Big Sky" is not really about walking on
clouds.  In "Cloudbusting", where you might think it's obvious that the
phrase "you're making rain" is a common metaphor, it actually isn't --
it's actually talking about making rain.

"Waking The Witch" is not really about a witch trial.  Certainly this
song appears because people and critics keep accusing Kate of being a
witch.  But who is the judge in "Waking The Witch"?  Is it her critics?
Or is it herself?  Notice that there are no credits in this song for
other vocals?  Seems to me that the judge is sung by Kate through a
vocoder or pitch changer.  Hmmm....

Another allusion to her recording career occurs in "Hello Earth".
Surely the lines "Over America/ Can't do anything" are *not* accidental.
Seems, though, the time has finally come when she is wrong about
this....

And, actually, "Jig of Life" (the part Kate sings, rather) is the most
straightforward song on the album.  Once you figure it out, nearly every
line is completely clear and unambiguous.  The subtle and poetic way she
says what she's saying is so perfect, though, it's a masterpiece!

		"Now is the place where the crossroads meet"

		 Doug