Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Re: Night Of The Swallow

From: jerpc.PE.UUCP@topaz.rutgers.edu
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 85 02:32:45 edt
Subject: Re: Re: Night Of The Swallow

> Nah, "Sat In Your Lap" and "Get Out Of My House" are!

No... Sat in Your Lap has this problem, that the basic premises
of the song are wrong... and "Get Out of my House," I've
decided, like "Pull out the Pin," has gross and embarassing
factual errors.   Actually these are things I have been thinking
of for a couple of days, and had been saving for a more
contemplative mood, since it is too late at night to be writing
about this at great length; but I am convinced that the mule in
the former song is due to a misunderstanding of the biological
properties of mules on the part of Kate Bush, and that the
latter song just somehow misses the point altogether (e.g.,
there is a line that should have read "They stink of the
West/Stink of leather,/Stink of cologne and baccy/And their
yankie hash".  I think the "yankie hash" should be replaced
too.)

Oh, shucks, after rereading the above, I think I will give a
cursory explanation anyway, lest people misunderstand.  Notice
that in trying to escape this man, she tries changing into
inaccessible things, but everything she threatens to change
into, he thinks of something to defeat it.  Well, the mule might
be a perfect solution to this problem... almost...

By the way, while speaking of "what I wish Kate Bush had done
differently"... in "Hounds of Love", I think there should be a
very distinct separation between the lines "And I'll be 2 steps
on the water" and "I found a fox".  "On the water" should, I
feel, have a very great intensity and motion to it, and "I found
a fox" should be very still and dreamlike.  This should build
back to the former intensity through the lines "...beats so
fast/And I'm ashamed of running away/From nothing real, I just
can't deal with this".  I was really disappointed to read the
lyrics first, then hear the song and find it wasn't that way.

> I believe it's actually fiddle, uillean pipes, and penny whistle playing
> at the same time.  There's also a bouzouki playing, but that can be
> heard as distinct from the other instruments.

I think the fiddle is the sound he was referring to, because it
is very distinct, and separate from the other instruments.
However, I think it is electronically distorted.

> P.S.  An amusing quote for all you anti-prudes out there by KB about
> "The Dreaming":

I don't understand the use of the word "Anti-prude" here...
seems the opposite to me.